09 January 2008

the truffle-shuffle and living a life of inspiration


The other night I found myself entranced. At the end of a long day, I found myself fighting off exhaustion in order to keep my eyes open long enough to enjoy one of the all-time greats, at least for people of and around my generation.

Goonies was on SABC2. And I was all over Goonies.

It is one of those movies that has somehow stood the test of time.

I found myself enjoying every ounce of it. The Truffle Shuffle....booby traps....the inhaler....the Fratellis...Sloth....Baby Ruth....I was even jamming along with all of the Cyndi Lauper songs that are spliced into the film.

And, really, for the first time, I found myself identifying with the protagonist, Mikey. Mikey is the kid that never says “die”, never says “quit”. Mikey refuses to settle for less than every last drop of life.

Mikey leads those around him, whether they be older or smarter or more clever. And he refuses to allow the obstacles, slow him down as they may, dampen his enthusiasm to achieve the goal. Mikey seems to have an inner reservoir of strength and motivation.

Mikey will find the treasure of “One-Eyed Willie”. He will succeed where others, like Chester Copperpot, failed. He is an unstoppable force.

I desire to have a life like that.

I pray that Stef and I can go through life with blind passion, endless enthusiasm. I hope that we can continue to make the difficult decisions, the ones that lead us to the ultimate rewards at the end of the journey. I hope that we will forfeit short-term for long-term and security for freedom and beauty. I hope that no matter how many obstacles we face, we will continue to press on towards the goal, mindful of all of those who have gone before us and propelled by the Truth within us. I pray, finally, that in living that life, we might one day be someone’s Mikey, someone’s picture of determination and inspiration.


1 comment:

  1. you can be my mikey anyday!!

    "I will never betray my goon dock friends.
    We will stick together until the whole world ends.
    Through heaven and hell, and nuclear war.
    Good pals like us, will stick like tar.
    In the city, or the country, or the forest, or the boonies.
    I am proudly declared a fellow Goony."

    ReplyDelete