11 September 2007

11th of september

So, today is September 11th…

Six years ago, Stef was in Canyon, TX and apparently was the last person to know
about the events taking place in New York. Like most of us, after she found out, she found herself huddled around a TV with an immense sadness for people she’d never met.


I was in Austin when my sister Amy came into my room to tell me “something is happening in New York”. We sat on my bed for a good chunk of the morning and, like most of you, didn’t know exactly how to feel.

Surely, I am not alone in this, but that day formed a bond between my sister and me that cannot be replicated. I am sure that most people remember who it was that was with them at that time. I am sure that sharing something of that magnitude has not yet left you completely. Amidst the sadness, such things are beautiful.

Today, far from all of you, we remember.

We have comfort knowing that nothing comes to us without first passing through God’s hands. So, somewhere and somehow, that day had a purpose and glory came to His name.

So, as we listen to the “call to prayer” booming from the loudspeakers in the minaret at the neighborhood mosque, in a place where the events of six years ago were cheered in the streets, we know that everything is going to be alright, that His will is greater than ours, and that only love can conquer hate.

The very words of God say:

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.

Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD**."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12:17-21 (NASB)


**Kyle’s note: In context, burning coals on a man’s head is a good thing, a blessing...

We pray that, today, peace becomes personal as we all remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment