03 June 2008

twinkie, deconstructed and christ-likeness



I read Twinkie, Deconstructed recently hoping to get a better understanding of the processed foods that are ubiquitous in our society.

Unknowingly, I stumbled into a book that was as much about my own faith journey as anything. No, the book doesn't have anything to do with faith. I just realized that I am more like a Twinkie than I ever knew. I strive for this thing called "Christ-likeness" and yet I couldn't define that for all the money in the world. Christ-likeness, like xanthum gum or high fructose corn syrup, is just a catch-all term that is vague enough to keep me from digging too deep, from ever really knowing whether I'd reached what I was striving for.

Well, digging deeper, one finds that there are ingredients and processes that are painfully involved in creating both Twinkies and the faithful. It is in our willingness to discover these things in which our ultimate hope truly lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment