07 January 2008

goliath takes on goliath and everyone is well-caffeinated

Every so often, I across a business story that completely takes my attention.
How about this one: McDonalds is going to take on Starbucks.

That's right. McDonalds is apparently planning on putting Starbucks-style coffee bars in 14,000 US stores. They will offer all of the fancy drinks that Starbucks does and will be staffed by dedicated baristas.

What!?!?!?

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the McD's executive board room. And how is old Starbucks handling this news? I would love some insight. (I am the guy who read the 400 page book about a year of Starbucks stock and wished that it wouldn't have ended.)

This is going to get much more interesting - even if I am the only
one fascinated by it.

(Check out the poll to the right - time for you to weigh in...)
And check out the full story in the Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119967000012871311.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

2 comments:

  1. I saw that today on Bloomberg I can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably be made a fool. But it won't be the first time. So, I will risk the designation. The only thing I went to McDonalds for was the Happy Meal. And that was when I was a Happy-Mealy mouth bratt! And thats why I go to places like Starbucks to get away from them.

    ReplyDelete