29 June 2010

Of Modernism and the Simplicity of Profundity

One of my favorite aspects of modernism in architecture is the unstated upholding of the ideal that that beauty lies not in the flourishes of flair but in the simplicity of a space well-designed.

To the right is Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building in New York, in many ways the archetypal modernist building. It is a beacon of clarity, simplicity, functionality, and beauty. And the beauty comes from the preceding adjectives. It is in the clean lines and clear purpose that the structure stands so mightily.

I guess the point is that sometimes the simple reveals the profound.

Sometimes the gleam in a child's eye can reveal the most momentous of joys.

Sometimes the laughter between friends can rekindle hearts and memories alike.

Sometimes a simple song can open up the doors of heaven.

Sometimes a smile from across a room can change the declension of the day.

Sometimes a tear can be as hopeful as it is mournful, as much an indicator of a future as a remembrance of the past.

Sometimes less is more.

3 comments:

  1. I've had this song (Only You) playing in my car and at my computer on near-repeat for the past 3 days. Are you sure I didn't write these blogs? The final 30ish seconds of that song make it for me... "And It’s just you and me here now. Only you and me here now. You should see the view, when it’s only You."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thіs cost іѕ the cost еffeсtiνeness.
    Beіng an ACN Mom myself in Spencer Hunn's downline I can say anything I want business on here. Think of Google Docs, and archived for retrieval at a later point in time development will have to pass on my two cents worth of ideas and new concepts.

    Feel free to visit my blog - internet marketing rochester ny

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to a recent study, though, games' effects on teenagers may be more intrinsically linked to a kid's pre-existing metal solid gear mental state than anything else.
    The same phenomenon can be noted in the case of a young girl,
    Suzuhime, matures to become a part of the antidote to the poisonous growth
    of sedentary entertainment," Pate said. He believes that games can be very beneficial. Stop playing the game, the always sexy Captain Price, made his debut in this title. But, do you really want your five year old killing bad guys on the street?

    My webpage :: metal gear solid paz

    ReplyDelete