13 October 2008

of snake-oil, the great george will, and the story behind the term "maverick"

I cringe at the media today. I too often look for expert opinion only to find pandering partisanship. I am so thrilled not to have cable…Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Keith Olbermann, and the rest of these snake-oil salesmen neither have the capacity nor the privilege to reach into my home.

And it is sad because these are high-capacity people who at some level have good intentions. These are people who are intrinsically persuasive and undeniably charismatic. It is just a shame that they serve a political dogma and not the populace. Their existence now only stands to polarize the country while their personal wealth and celebrity grows.

I just can't stomach it.

I read the New York Times, which probably makes me a communist to those who fancy themselves a deep shade of red and to anyone who doesn’t like to keep a dictionary handy while reading their newspaper. But I also love George Will, the conservative Washington Post columnist who is not afraid of intellectual honesty. Writers like him were the reason that I started my University career looking to be a journalist. Today, they are the reason that I still believe that there are a few experts (people exponentially smarter and more eloquent than I am) who can be trusted to deliver analysis worth reading.

...

For your amusement, we take a look at one of the most repeated words of the campaign so far: “maverick”.

First, there is a Wiki article about the original maverick of Texas and then there is a story about the legacy that the original maverick left (including a San Antonio mayor named “Maverick”) and what the surviving members of the family (who still live in San Antonio) have to say about their name in the current political landscape…

No comments:

Post a Comment