25 March 2008

starbucked



I just finished my first full Kindle-book. The Kindle experience was flawless. The book was as entertaining as advertised.

I read Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture. I really enjoyed it, to say the least.

The author completely dissected both the company and the phenomenon that is Starbucks. For anyone who finds themselves in Starbucks with any frequency, the book is fascinating.

Among the revelations, Starbucks actually helps local establishments (i.e. independent coffee houses). One small regional chain went so far as to locate all of their coffee houses next door to Starbucks...and the chain prospered like you wouldn't believe. The CEO even retired early.

That is just one of the unexpected nuggets that is inside Starbucked.

I may be a total nerd, but that sort of stuff keeps me turning pages.

(And, just so you know, I totally feel like I just previewed a book for you on Reading Rainbow. Sorry about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment