13 January 2008

of legend and longing....commonality and my dearest companion

We went to the movies on Saturday, blindly walking into a theater to see “I am Legend”.

My friend Daniel recommended the movie in an email. And I miss Daniel immensely. I probably miss him more than I know, actually. Everybody has their trusted partner, the one person (besides a spouse - love you Stef) that just knows. They just get you. For a few years now, that has been Daniel for me. We have had a lot of early mornings and a lot of bad cups of coffee while we talked about life and truth and where it is all headed.

In hindsight, I think I might have gone to the movies just to feel close to him in some way. Like maybe a common experience could bring us closer.

The movie was big and creepy. Somehow it was endearing. Will Smith’s character, Dr. Robert Neville, is the last man on earth and he is seeking to find a way to save the earth all the same. (Confusing plotline? Not really...if you see it, you’ll know.)

And I was really moved, touched, by Neville’s determination, his perseverance. The stakes were incredibly high, matched only by his resolve. In many ways, he represents a Christ-like figure... He even resorted to the phrase, “Light up the darkness” (a man after my own heart). The whole thing was beautiful, haunting, and very emotional. I sat in quiet tears at the end, charged to find more darkness to which I could bring the light...

So, Sunday morning (Saturday night for him) when I actually got to speak to Daniel on the phone (for only the 2nd time in 7 months), I anxiously told him that I’d seen the movie. I told him that I couldn’t really stop thinking about it.

Daniel said that he really identified with the “urgency” that the character had in his mission. Urgency. I had never even considered his urgency. But, wow, it opened up another layer of depth to me. His eyes saw, his heart perceived, what mine did not. And I got the benefit of his eyes. I guess that’s the beauty of walking alongside someone. Perspective. And companionship...

Maybe he’ll read this and feel the same way. Maybe Daniel never considered Neville’s perseverance, I don’t know. What I do know is that for just a minute I felt like I was back with my friend, completing each other’s thoughts and filling in the gaps. For a minute, I felt like I was back alongside him, doing life together.

I guess I just miss my friend.

1 comment:

  1. DOnt you love some friendship eh? I certainly dooooo

    ReplyDelete