15 January 2008

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time (more of what we're reading)


Whenever I tell you about a book I’ve read, I have to think about how to form the communication so as to best frame the book in hopes that you might read it. I don’t want to recommend things, but I suppose I sort of do that anyway, just in a passive-aggressive manner.

Anyway, the most recent book that I have read is one of my favorites already. It is called, “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” and it was written by Mark Haddon.

Occasionally, I step into a good piece of fiction to relax my brain a little bit. More often than not, that book stimulates my brain even more and opens up a new world to me entirely.

The most recent window that has been opened to me is one into autism. And almost everyone knows someone with autism. This book is told from the point-of-view of a 15 year-old autistic boy who is mathematically brilliant, hates brown and yellow, loves detective work, and is looking for the killer of a neighbor’s dog.

The book is simply fascinating.

It was a Today Show Book Club selection, if you watch the Today Show. Ignore that last statement if you think morning shows are stupid. It would be in my book club if I had one. Maybe that’s not such a good thing either, considering the other books that I’ve mentioned in this space.

No matter.

If you need a break from the real world…or if you need a new insight into someone else’s real world, go ahead and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment